<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14917398\x26blogName\x3dThe+Life+and+Times+of+Sticky+and+Obtuse\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://badlydrawncomics.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://badlydrawncomics.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-2380288559823002046', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Saturday, August 6

What's Cool?

I won't often toss up written posts here cause it's really all about the boys and their comics, they're pricks that way, but I was just reminded of what's cool and my question would be this; is Billy Joel cool again or not? Suppose one could argue, was he ever?, but at one time I believe he was quite the hepcat, late seventies, early eighties.

I ask because yesterday I was toolin' around in my truck rockin' out to Joel's Big Shot. You know, really getting into it, singing like a rock star, venting a poisoned memory I've never been able to let go of, damn her, and I make the mistake of stepping outside myself. Or rather, letting my ego take hold and shame me with its self-conscious spotlight. "Billy Joel is so uncool dude and you look like a total asshead sitting in your truck rockin' out to this has been." It was a momentary flash of sheepishness but enough to ruin what was a pretty cathartic experience moments before.

But of course, if the guy is cool again, I'm not "up" on these pop culture fluctuations, then I was lookin' pretty damn hip. Thus the question, is Billy Joel cool again or is he still awaiting baptism in the pop cultural waters... And hasn't Springsteen always been cool? God help me if he isn't.

9 quips

Anonymous Anonymous says...

At least 7 dead, 20 injured in Sicily plane crash
Reuters Photo: An undated computer-generated picture of an ATR 42-500 twin-engined turboprop airplane.
Interesting stuff going on here. Keep it up.

Check me here key lime cheesecake recipeif you wish:-)

3:02 PM  
Blogger MoDigli says...

grimm ~ what's up with the spam blog comments? I've gotten a few myself. How annoying is THAT??? sheesh! I hate those buggers!

As for Billy Joel. I remember listening to the 52nd Street album as a little kid on Saturday mornings when my mom and I did our weekly housecleaning.

I don't know if he's considered cool these days. Maybe in a vintage, retro kind of way he could be cool.

Coolest Billy Joel song I know: The Stranger

3:53 PM  
Blogger a.m. griffin says...

I like key lime pie, especially love cheescake. I'm a sucker for cheesecake. In fact I'll do almost anything for a good cheesecake, but my recipe is better and I didn't even take a gander at yours. I can be a jerk like that. And maybe next time you can find a smoother transition between seven dead and cheesecake. But I love cheesecake. Anyone else like cheesecake?

3:55 PM  
Blogger a.m. griffin says...

That's a good song Modigli. I like that Scenes from an Italian Resturant one. But retro cool is good. Anything cool I'd take, you know.

And I actually deleted another spam comment, a couple actually. My take is, they suck, they're annoying, like you say, but if I can say something even remotely funny or insightful "based upon" then I'll keep them on, within limits. Sorta use them back, not outta spite, but because it gives me an excuse to write more and I bore easily.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Neil says...

Women like him. They also like James Taylor and Bread. So, if I'm women, I say those are my retro favorites. Otherwise, it's AC/DC.

5:11 PM  
Blogger gone says...

I personally never thought Biily was cool. Oh, wait. I remember going to the rollerskating rink and totally jamming to "We Didn't Start the Fire!" I'm a big fat liar. As for him making a hepcat gomeback? NOT A CHANCE!

5:33 PM  
Blogger The Dummy says...

Yeah, BJ is cool, but I think it depends on what era you're grooving to (like when he had Christy Brinkley!) Like how Michael Jackson used to be cool. Nobody now would like to admit it, but they were probably big fans of his way back in the day. I was when I was a little kid, and there's no denying there was good music made back then.

5:45 PM  
Blogger a.m. griffin says...

neil: ac/dc is decidedly a cool band. i think they might be one of those bands that are always cool and get cooler with age.

cbt: roller-skating rink, what a great trigger for some nostalgia. i owe you a drink for that one... god I was a dork at those things.

DD: i think you're right. there was some good music back then. the 80's get justifiably hammered but sometimes the gold gets lost in the jokes. i think the early 80's probably was a cooler era, gets unfairly lumped into the rest of the decade.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous says...

What a great site propecia buy weaning effexor Intrinsically safe fixed mount barcode scanners muscle car tv shows czci samochodowe peugeot 307 Home security surveilla peugeot 106 sc bingo free free game play sioux falls soccer compatible inkjet cartridges http://www.cadillacs5.info/ferrari-plans.html Save buying butalbital

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< back home